- Bar Towser: A super small but awesome cocktail bar. The man who owns it speaks very little English but is still great company and a really nice person. Definitely go here for a cocktail. (sidenote, it is hard to find).
- Bamboo forest: Take the train out to the bamboo forest for a day. It will be busy (suggest getting there earlier in the day if possible)
- Fushimi-Inari Shrine: This is really cool and definitely worth checking out. It is the endless orange gates you see in all the photos. Come in the early morning before the crowds come.
- Kinkakuji Temple: The Golden Temple, it's fairly close to Kyoto (easy to get to) and a really nice peaceful walk around the pond that it sits on. Absolutely beautiful.
- Nishiki Market: Really cool market with lots of unique and traditional street food, cool souvenirs and all your other shopping needs.
- Ritz Carlton: This was (and is) hands-down one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The service here was impeccable. The breakfast (free for Marriott Platinum members) is phenomenal, you have your choice between 2 restaurants (one traditional Japanese, the other more American). They offer some free activities, one I recommend is the bike tour of Kyoto. It is a great way to start your day and you get to explore Kyoto in the morning when everything is calm and peaceful.